Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Coolest Desert Spring

We went and visited this super cool, downright fantastic spring this past weekend. Walking up to it, it might not seem that terrific, even though the sight of green algae and an open body of water is notable in the desert.

As I got closer, I realized that this spring is really something special. And a little dangerous. Underneath the algae, it suddenly became apparent that this little spring is not so little--the water is several feet deep. And it's unclear where the edge is with so much old vegetation surrounding it. Nevertheless, I wanted to get a little closer...

...to see the white sand at the bottom, and the little bubbles of air popping out of them. It was amazing.

I'd like to get on a float tube and just stare down at the water bubbling out. Maybe when it gets a little warmer. 

The spring is not just for oohing and ahhing, though. It provides important water for lots of organisms, including...

...this Columbia spotted frog. Desert Boy was fascinated and fortunately a little bit respectful. The frog was quite friendly and stayed rather still for its photo shoot. 

I love desert springs, there's such a contrast between the life-giving water and the arid surroundings.

NEWS FLASH---I've started another blog, called A Plant a Day. I'm on a mission to learn all the plants in the area where I live. There are about 1,000, so I figure it will take me a few years, but I might as well get started! Even if you aren't into learning plants, you can still see some some pretty pictures: http://aplantaday.blogspot.com.

4 comments:

I Am Woody said...

Beautiful - And the water is always so clear at a spring!

We went snorkeling at a huge spring in FL. In February, the water from the spring seems warm so the manatees gather there. It was awesome. Note: don't wear a lime green bathing suit. Manatees don't see well so they think you are edible!

Caroline said...

I love the spring. Looks like good fodder for a story....

Dessert Survivor said...

Good luck on your new blog. I am sure you will learn a lot. I suspect you will also find a lot of plants that you will struggle to identify. I tried to identify all the conifers in our area this winter on my blog. I got most of them, but there are still some that are mysteries. The problem I had was that people plant a lot of exotics, things that are not native, so instead of just a few possibilities, there are dozens.

english said...

this plant blog looks great. and your timing couldn't be better (for me - I'm moving to Reno this summer.)
thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates