Monday, February 16, 2015

First Night Out Camping in 2015

 With the amazingly warm winter we've been having (sorry East Coast and Midwest!), we decided that we'd start our 2015 Desert Survivor Get-Out-And-Camp Challenge early. Our goal for this year is 12 nights out. Last year the kids got 11, and they are pretty determined to meet the challenge this year. The high was 70 degrees that day (average high for this time of year is about 40) and the low was supposed to be 35. We decided to give our old camping trailer a try, and the kids spent a few hours cleaning it and my husband spent a few hours doing important stuff like making sure the lights were connected and we had a spare tire. Meanwhile, I spent a few hours packing. Camping preparation always takes longest for the first trip of the year!

Finally we were ready and we headed to Ibex Cliffs, about 50 miles west of Delta, Utah. It's a renowned climbing area and the site of a dry lake bed. We arrived in the dark and just parked on the dry lake bed. We could see a couple other campfires along the old shoreline.


I couldn't resist going for a walk and admiring the night sky.

The trailer is small and cozy, and we had fun getting used to it.

During the night the wind started blowing hard and everything started rattling. Fortunately my husband had brought three screw jacks, so the trailer didn't feel like it was going to tip over. But none of us slept that great. Nevertheless it was still a joy to wake up in a different place in the morning. Henry and I went for a morning walk to photograph first light. Here are our shadow selfies, with the cliffs in the background:
We're giants!

The early morning light really illuminated some of the tracks across the playa.

Nevertheless, I could find some undisturbed cracked mud. I love the patterns.

When we arrived back to the trailer, the kids had woken up and were cuddling with dad (below the water stains--we have to treat the trailer gingerly as it's had some stress).

Then we continued on our day's adventures…to be continued.

3 comments:

jhami said...

Cool pics! Looks like fun!

Anonymous said...

My name is Nick and i have always been aware that spells work out but i never found a true spell caster as i have been scammed a couple of times. My husband whom i have been married to for 3 years left me just after i became pregnant and there was no one to take care of me and my unborn child this condition made me search for genuine solution online until i met DR ZADSON of eduduzadsontemple@yahoo.com. This DR promised to bring back my husband and in 72 hours. At first i thought he was like others i have met until suddenly the third day after Dr ZADSON had told me to await results my husband came to me in the hospital for my anti-natal care and stood right beside my begging for forgiveness and a chance to make amends. Tears of joy burst out of me and words are still not enough to thank this great DR. Just contact him via eduduzadsontemple@yahoo.com or call +2347050269626 for whatever challenge you may be facing its absolutely amazing.

Unknown said...

The post is really awesome and entertaining. It kept my eyes glued to it. It has become my favorite pastime reading to your posts.

Camps in Jaisalmer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates