Saturday, April 9, 2016

Spring Break -- The Snow

After our fun in the sun at Sand Hollow State Park, the next part of spring break was to be at Brian Head, where we would hit the slopes and do some spring skiing. That turned out to be a very good choice, as Sand Hollow was filling up fast on Friday, and the primitive camping was getting cramped. The roar of ATVs filled the air non-stop, and the line of trucks to get into the state park stretched nearly a quarter-mile. 

We had a leisurely trip up to Brian Head, stopping so the kids could play at a cool playground in Cedar City, picking up some food, and checking out a ghost town. Then it was time to check into the condo we had rented over AirBnB. That was my first time using that website, so I was curious how it would turn out. Fortunately, it turned out great. (If you'd like a referral, let me know.) The condo was in the Copper Chase complex, and after unpacking, the kids and I went to the pool. The pool was freezing, but the adjacent hot tub was quite nice.

My brother, Ed, arrived soon after, and later that evening my husband. The condo was a studio that slept six. We really liked having a kitchen and prepared our dinners and breakfasts there.

The next morning it was time to hit the slopes! We went to Georg's to get some rentals--they have the best customer service! The kids wanted to ski with us instead of ski school, so we let them.


It was still snowing in the morning and kind of windy, so we got cold fast, but after pulling out balaclavas (which is kind of weird to do in late March when it's 70 degrees below!) and taking some warming breaks, we made it work.

Desert Boy wanted to sign up for the Munchkin Rail Jam, which involved going off this little ski jump and on the rails next to it. He was fearless and did it over and over. I was so impressed.


Desert Girl was delighted to get her face painted.




Then it was time to ski more. I couldn't believe how well the kids did. Desert Boy can go down slopes I can't. I'd like to say his little skis make it easier for him, but I think the reality is that he is just braver than me. And better at falling. He was very comfortable on all the blue slopes (intermediate). Desert Girl also tackled the blue slopes, and when she wasn't comfortable, she just made a lot of noise and that got her down. They also loved the terrain park, where they both did some little jumps. I even did some little jumps. Two inches of air feels like a lot to me! We also spent a lot of time going on little trails through the trees. The powder was perfect for it, and we all got a little extra practice on our balance.


It was great getting to spend time with my brother. He's got a super busy job, so we were glad to have some relaxing time with him.


Turns out a helium balloon tied to your kid's wrist is a great way to keep track of her! We had a great time skiing, and I am looking forward to the next time we can go. Skiing is such a great way to get the family outdoors in the winter.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates