Sunday, August 10, 2008

Name This Slimy Creature

I just want to have fun with Sunday posts, so we're going to venture into another world. Last week it was UFOs, this week it's this slimy creature. Know what it is? Here are some clues, and because I'm in a good mood, I'll include the answer at the end of the post.

I found this creature in the stream, under a rock. It likes water and it truly is slimy feeling. You can even see the reflection of that slime coat in the photo. Technically this is called the mucus, and it uses the mucus to glide along the rock. I feel smarter when I can write "technically." Do you, too? I thought so.

This critter has no arms, legs, head, heart, or brain. It must have a pretty simple life! It does have a couple spots that look like eyes, called ocelli, and they detect light. The critter doesn't like light and  moves away from it.

I can't say that it's a he or a she because it's both. It can reproduce asexually, which means no mating. But if it wants to, it can mate. Such choices.

One of the coolest things about this critter is that it can regenerate body parts. That's part of the reproduction thing. If it's split crosswise or lengthwise, it can regrow what it lost. 

So what is this thing? It's a planaria. Maybe you got to see one in high school biology class. And if not, go out to your nearest stream and look under some rocks. There's a good chance you might find one. Not that you would want to, but don't you feel that the quality of your life has improved knowing that you can? 

Have a good Sunday. I guess this post will show you that you should be out doing something other than sitting in front of the computer looking at photos of unattractive, uncharismatic, creatures. I guess I should get a life too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to call her "Penelope"

Karla

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates