Sunday, April 16, 2023

Skiing to Stella Lake



As it became more apparent that the winter of 2022-23 was special for the frequent storms and large amount of snow, I wanted to head up to document what was happening in the Wheeler Peak Campground. Located at nearly 10,000 feet elevation, it's a gorgeous campground. In the winter, the only way to access it is via the Lehman Creek Trail, about 4 miles long starting at Upper Lehman Campground, or the Wheeler Peak Scenic Drive, about 9 miles starting at Upper Lehman Campground. There was almost no snow at the Great Basin National Park entrance (above). 

I opted for the shorter route. At first I thought I was going to snowshoe, but two days of fresh snow followed by cold temps made me decide to switch to my cross country skis, with skins on the bottom for traction. There was a lot of snow in the campground on April 5th, at about 7600 ft elevation.

The trailhead is located about 5-10 minute ski into the campground. 

The next sign is for Osceola Ditch, a ditch made in the late 1800s to transport water from creeks around the mountain to the mining town of Osceola to process gold. 

I admired some Douglas fir pinecones.

When I got to the big meadow, about half way up, it started snowing me, even though it was sunny on the mountains.

I smiled anyway, it was so good to be outside for the day.


By now the tracks had lessened from a stampede to a single ski track, made the day before. I was extremely grateful for these tracks, as the flagging up the trail ended soon after the meadow, and the trail location was not at all evident.

As I headed higher, the snow got deeper. Here's some on a log.

I was amazed that the skiers had managed to find this narrow bridge over a spring. The layers of snow were fascinating.

Before too long, I was getting awesome views of Wheeler Peak behind snow-covered trees.

And then, before I knew it, I saw a little bit of a building. Wait, what? It turned out I was in the campground. But all the campsites were so snow covered I didn't know it. And there were no signs or roads to be seen. But I could just make out the top of an outhouse.

As I looked harder, I could make out one of the roads. You see it, right?

Up near the Bristlecone trailhead I saw the kiosk with the intepretive signs.

I made my way past the bathrooms and sat down for lunch. It was a lovely view. (It took about three hours to get here.)

Here's the trailhead sign for the bristlecones and alpine lakes trails. 

I still had energy and food, so I decided to continue on. The skiers the pervious day had turned around here, so now I had to break trail through about a foot of fresh powder. It was hard work. I came across the water treatment building.

Then I spotted the NevCan installation, which measures weather. The camera here stopped working in December, but there's another one near Mt. Washington that I follow regularly to see just how much snow there is.

Then I came to the Snotel site, which was measuring about 107 inches that day. Wow! 

From there I headed in the direction of Stella Lake, using the Gaia app on my phone to help me. I eventually came upon a trail marker--about waist high!

Here's a trail marker about knee high. These are usually way over my head.

It was strange sking so high up the trees.

As I approached Stella Lake, it got so white. The big meadow in front of it was totally snow-covered.

And then I was there! Stella Lake isn't too impressive with all the snow. But the mountain sure is!

I skied out onto the lake to enjoy a different view and just for the fun of it. Then I took another nice break.

Eventually it was time to head back down. I took the skins off my skis as with so much fresh powder, I had plenty of braking power.

It was gorgeous.

I took a slightly different route through the campground, admiring another campsite.

And another snow-covered bathroom.

I encountered seven people on my way down, including three who were spending the night at the campground. They pulled a sled, which made for a very fast trail. I put the skins back on, and then when the trail narrowed near Osceola Ditch, switched to snow shoes for a bit. 

It was a truly wonderful day out in the backcountry.
Now we'll have the fun of seeing how all that snow melts!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates