Saturday, January 29, 2022

2022 Ely Bristlecone Birkebeiner

One of our favorite winter traditions is the Bristlecone Birkebeiner, the only and longest-running cross country ski race in Nevada. In recent years, the Ely Outdoor Enthusiasts have expanded the race to snowshoes and fat tire bikes. This year there was a terrific turnout. 

We've participated many other times ( 2020  2019 2018 2017 2016 ), with many tears from the kids the first years. Now they are confident and each others' biggest competitors. They wanted to do the short race, 1.5 miles, while I signed up for the long race, 4+ miles.

It was a beautiful morning, with virtually no wind. There was just enough snow.

Then we were off! Although I tried to ski fast, I was quite slow. I didn't stop or slow down to take any photos, I just enjoyed the beautiful ski. 

When I got back, the kids informed me that they had finished first and second in the short race, leaving their competition behind in the dust snow.

What a lovely winter tradition. I'm hoping we will be back next year!

Thanks to all the organizers and volunteers who put on the race and encourage us to get outside and enjoy the beautiful eastern Nevada scenery.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

The kids are getting so big!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates