Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Good Garden

This year I've had a wonderful garden. I'd like to take the credit for it, but I think the good weather is mostly to credit. It's my first year to plant sweet corn, and let me tell you, it is such a treat! I love to go pick a couple ears just before dinner. We also have eaten zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes, green beans, beets, carrots, peas, spinach, and lettuce. We're still waiting for the brussel sprouts, cabbages, melons, and bigger tomatoes. 

It's so fun to go out and harvest. I am also really good at growing weeds, and am thinking about doing a theme week of Weeds of My Garden for my A Plant a Day blog. It's sad but true I really do have a week's worth of material.

Here's one evening's bountiful supply. (We still need to eat the red beets--they are so big we can only eat one a night!) I sort of feel like a pioneer, eating off the land. It sure would be a lot of work to grow enough to last a year like the pioneers tried to do.

4 comments:

g said...

beautiful produce! so glad that you finally got results.
can't get any fresher or healthier

I Am Woody said...

Yummy!! I love, love, love sweet corn. Silver Queen is my favorite.

Annette said...

That's awesome! Great job! I've been enjoying fresh tomatoes and zucchini from a friends garden.

G. Robison said...

Snake Valley has a GREAT climate for gardening, especially if you can rig up a hoop house or hot beds. My grandparents (and great-grandparents)produced most their own food for many decades right up on Weaver Creek. They had a huge garden and did all sorts of canning to get through the winter.

You should pickle some of those beets - it's real easy. If you are adventurous, jerusalem artichokes grow fantastically there (and the best fishing worms can be dug up in their shade).

I'm envious. I spotted your green bean plants right away. Those are my fave.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates