Tuesday, May 21, 2019

A Quick Trip to Ely, Nevada

 
On a recent trip to Ely, Nevada, we saw they had new posters up with "10 Places to Explore in White Pine County." These places are:
Great Basin National Park, Cave Lake State Park (and in winter), Ward Charcoal Ovens State Historic Park, Lehman CavesGarnet Hill Recreation Area, Ely Art Bank, White Pine Public Museum (and McGill Drugstore Museum), White Pine Golf Course, and Ely Renaissance Village.

You can see my take on these great places by clicking the links above. I still need to visit the McGill Drugstore Museum. I've only been to the White Pine Golf Course when I camped on it during the NSS Convention. And I've had a quick trip through the Ely Renaissance Village that I didn't blog about, but have seen it from the train a few times--I definitely need to do a proper visit there! A post on Ward Charcoal Ovens is coming soon.

The Ely Art Bank is a place I go to regularly, as they sell my books and photographs there. I love going, as every time I see something different. This time I saw this fun painting by Katherine Rountree. I recognized some of the people in it.
 
 
So cool!
I even found a piece of artwork I really liked and bought to grace one of the walls in our house.

In the basement of the adjacent Garnet Mercantile is the Cuchine Collection, a lovely collection of Nevada artists.

Also on display was a White Pine County art contest. Every person in White Pine County was invited to submit a piece of art.

Katherine Rountree won second place for the beautiful painting of a cattle drive.

Laurie Cruikshank made this bench.

You can vote for your favorite.

While we were there, we were told we should go check out the new gate at the Renaissance Village. It's just a few blocks away from the Art Bank.

The gate was made by the Rountrees and looks quite lovely. We wanted to check out the village, but realized we didn't have enough time on this particular day.

Partly because we still needed to eat a proper lunch, and it was already two in the afternoon. These two gals had helped sell a framed canvas I brought into the Art Bank, and the kind buyer gave them a commission to cover the cost of their milkshakes, so we went to Economy Drug to enjoy! They have the best milkshakes, plus great sandwiches. And while lunch was being prepared, the girls so enjoyed looking at the amazing toy selection downstairs.

 Our last fun stop was a newer one in Ely: the Aquatic Center. It was time to play in the water! And on the climbing walls--where we all had multiple races to the top. I even got them to do a few laps with me. This is such a nice facility, we try to stop here whenever we can.
So if you're looking for something to do in White Pine County, there are lots of great places to start! Scroll back up to the list at the top and check out the links if you want some suggestions. Let me know what you like doing best in WPC!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates