Saturday, May 1, 2010

Desert Boy's Elmo Cupcakes

Desert Boy is turning three, and to celebrate with his preschool class the other day he wanted some Elmo cupcakes. I thought about it and told him okay. After all, last year he wanted a train cake and if I do say so myself, it came out pretty spectacular. We had an engine and three train cars, all decorated with bright colors and an assortment of trimmings. Never mind that the cake was literally held together was frosting, it still tasted and looked great!

Back to the Elmo cupcakes. I looked on the Internet and saw the photo above and thought how adorable those cupcakes were. Surely I could make something similar, especially since I had a new icing doohickey with different tips.

So I gave it my best try, and this is what I ended up with:

My husband didn't even know who the cupcakes were supposed to represent and said they looked scary.

This poor Elmo even had a runny nose.

Note to others aspiring to make Elmo cupcakes: if you don't know how to work icing doohickeys, take the shortcuts. For eyes cut large marshmallows in half or use little candy eyes. For the nose use an orange gumdrop so you don't have to mix food coloring for half an hour to try to get an orange color. For a mouth use some black licorice or half a wafer of an Oreo cookie.

Of course I didn't have any of those ingredients on hand, and I didn't have time to drive an hour to the grocery store to get them.

Fortunately, Desert Boy didn't care. He was so happy to have candles to blow out on his Elmo cupcakes.


And his friends were delighted to eat them. Mission accomplished. And those of you who have made picture perfect Elmo cupcakes, just keep it to yourself!

12 comments:

desertsurvivor.blogspot.com said...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY DESERT BOY. HAVE LOTS OF FUN AT YOUR PARTIES. WHAT A LUCKY BOY AND A GREAT MOM TO HAVE ELMO CUPCAKES!

g said...

Love the cupcakes, what fun! Desert Boy was so excited with them. Happy Birthday, big boy!

I Am Woody said...

Happy Birthday Desert Boy!! And I think its fantastic that he has such a great Mom that will even attempt decorating:)

Emily Hale said...

I think they were awesome! I bet they loved all the icing! Happy 3 to your fella! Time flies.

A said...

Happy birthday to the big boy! And what great cupcakes. My MIL gave me a book of fancy cupcakes (sharks, pandas, you name it). It is the bane of my existence as the kids flip through and come up with their (impossible) birthday requirements for years to come.

Ed said...

Happy birthday little dude!

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe that the dude is 3 yrs. old! Happy Birthday little man.

Mom - you survived the terrible two's and now are moving into the terrific three's ;-)

gut

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I love it! Thanks for the laugh and the smile! :o) I love your Elmo cupcakes! Really the only things that matter are the thoughtfulness put into making them and how they taste at the end! It seems like the kids sure liked the way they tasted! Have a great day! :o)

Annette said...

Happy Birthday to Desert Boy!
Ok, this post totally made me laugh, but I'm sure the cupcakes tasted good and that's really all that matters. Heh.

Sunshine and Shadows said...

Love the post - I'm glad they cupcakes were Elmo enough for your littl one - kids are so easy to please.

Mary said...

I stumbled across this while debating whether I should attempt Elmo cupcakes for my little guy's first birthday. I don't even OWN an icing doohickey, who am I kidding?!?

Thank you for the giggle and honesty and hope your little'un had an amazing third birthday.

Anonymous said...

DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
What's app +2347012841542
Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates