Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Nevada Northern Railway--A Ride in the Engine

This is the last of a five-part series about the Nevada Northern Railway Winter Steam Photo Shoot Spectacular. Check out posts about Day 1 (Friday afternoon and evening), Day 2 (Saturday), around the Enginehouse, and Day 3 (Sunday morning).
 After taking photos all Sunday morning, it was time to head back to the East Ely Depot for lunch. NNRY Executive Director Mark Bassett asked if I would like to ride back with the crew. Wow, really?! I didn't have to think twice about that! I immediately said yes and climbed into the cab. The Fireman was at his post (above), and the Engineer was at his. He was all smiles all weekend, such a nice gentleman.

This is Gordon, the Brakeman, a volunteer from California who also has done a lot of photography and has a nice webpage. Behind him is the coal car. We had gone through a lot of coal by this point!
 

And here's the belly of the beast, the big steam boiler. This is what makes the train go.

We were headed back to the station in reverse, as there's no turn-around at the end of the line (at least where we were).

There are four different kinds of oil in these cans. I asked what they were, and they told me, but I'm afraid my memory doesn't recall.

This is a magic door. Press the pedal on the floor, and...

...it opens, revealing the fiery furnace inside.

The Fireman was in a good mood.

Actually, everyone was. It was a beautiful day and we were on a terrific engine.

This gauge shows the amount of pressure in the furnace. If the number gets a little too low, add some water. (I think--I'd need a little more training before they let me operate it!)

Here's the view behind us as we chugged along backwards.

And the view forwards (while I got to steal the Fireman's seat for a little while!).

The Fireman is checking gauges, and it looks like it's time to make an adjustment.

More coal into the boiler! Look at how the shovel glows. This thing is hot.

I leaned out the side to watch the wheels move around. They were mesmerizing. I couldn't take a photo without falling out, but I could get one of the Engineer on his perch.

Crossing Highway 93.

Now we're entering the main yard and it's time to make lots of adjustments.



And check out the shadow of the engine!

It was so very cool to have the opportunity to ride in the Engine. You can see firsthand how much these people running the engine know and how they love being on a working railroad.

There was still more to the weekend, but riding in the Engine was such a highlight!

A few more photos:

A lock on one of the freight cars
Colorful caboose awaiting another ride.
Wrecking crane

Diesel engines with water tower in background

Filling the coal car's water tank
 I highly recommend a visit to the  Nevada Northern Railway. There is so much to see and do, and the more time I spend there, the more I'm impressed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll have to have my mom look at your most recent adventure! She loves trains. Looks like an amazing experience!

Wikihow said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip in the cab! (I'm the fireman in those shots) I'm always busy being on the train, so I often never get to see the end results of the weekends. Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates