Sunday, November 30, 2014

More Free Time

It's the last day of November, which means it's the last day of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). I participated this year, trying to write a 50,000 word novel in just 30 days. I was behind for 29 of those days, but today I finished! It feels so good.

Now I'll have a little more time to dedicate to my blog and other activities. I have a pile of books I want to read, new recipes to try, a little more exercise to do, and plenty of getting ready for Christmas.

I'll also be spending a bit of time editing the book. I had so much fun writing it. It's a mystery set in Ely, Nevada during the 2016 National Speleological Society Convention. So I wrote about some of the things I know best--caving and the local area. With a mystery thrown in. I have some loose ends to tie up, characters to flesh out, and facts to check (I couldn't help but throw in some night skies!). But the first draft is done, and it's so much to edit something that's already written!

If you've never heard of NaNoWriMo or always thought you wanted to write a novel, but weren't sure you could, it's a free program (although they accept donations), with lots of encouragement and pep talks. One tool I find really useful is updating my word count and seeing how the bar graph keeps increasing over time.

I find writing such a wonderful creative outlet. I could gush more, but I think I'll stop now. :)

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and wishing you a peaceful Advent.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Hooray!! So glad you finished. I never doubted you. Sounds like an interesting story too! Congratulations!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates