Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Finding Snake Skins

 I was ready to do some desert exploring one morning, so I headed to an area I hadn't visited in years.

This Hole-in-the-Ground Sinkhole. It's quite stunning, especially since you don't know it's there until you're at the edge. One side has really steep cliffs. Since I had never walked completely around it, I decided to give it a go. The views were great. While I walked, I kept an eye out for rattlesnakes. I thought that they might have gone into their dens for the winter, but I wasn't sure. I've hardly seen any rattlesnakes this last summer, but I know some people who saw more than usual. I like seeing them, I just don't want them to surprise me--or me to surprise them!

 Then I saw something that made me do a double take--a snake skin. As snakes grow, they shed their skins. They leave them behind, and if you find them before the elements cause them to disintegrate, they make for an interesting show-and-tell item for a little kindergarten student.

 Can you spot the shed in the photo above?

 When a snake is ready to shed its skin, it rubs its nose on something rough, like a rock, to tear the skin. Then it starts to wriggle out of the skin. Then--here's a cool part I just learned--as the skin is pulled off, it is turned out inside out.

 One of the snake sheds I found was in really good condition, with the whole head clearly identifiable. I was really excited and showed quite a few people. My husband thinks I'm overreacting a little, so I'll just throw the question out there: Have you ever seen a snake skin with the head still in good shape?

p.s. For more info about the sinkhole, see my book, pages 236-37.

8 comments:

G. Robison said...

OMG, I think I recognize that sinkhole!! I couldn't tell you exactly where it is, maybe east of Garrison a few miles?? We went there when I was little, and went down into the hole, and there were baby rattlesnakes EVERYWHERE. I was pretty scared.

Alica said...

I don't think I've ever seen one like that...but we don't see many around here...and very rarely a rattlesnake one for sure!

trav4adventures said...

No, I haven't seen one with the head part still on it, and I've seen quite a few up at the horse ranch! Great find! Just as an aside, I've had to type in the number and words 4x now. This is really difficult for some of us with less than perfect eyesight. Five times, now. Six times. I'm ready to give up! SEVEN TIMES!

I Am Woody said...

I've never really thought about it but no, I haven't. I'm going to start paying more attention! Copperheads seem to like my husband's garage :/

Desert Survivor said...

Sorry trav4adventures. I don't like the word verification. I took it off this last week and ended up with so many spam comments! Any suggestions of how to allow the good comments in an easier way?

Anonymous said...

You aren't over reacting. That snake skin is gorgeous. I've never found one with the head completely intact. I say... BRAVO!

Anonymous said...

PS: Don't worry about the word verification. It serves it's purpose. Just based on this one post, you have WAY too many groovier things to do than sort through a pile of spam everytime you post! I consider the word verification to be the price for a ticket to your current adventure (should I choose to insert myself somewhere --otherwise, it's free).

Anonymous said...

PPS: It is also the perfect opportunity to use this fabulous little magnifying glass that The History Channel sent me! It's been laying here for quite some time with nothing to do.
;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates