Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Planting

My sweet husband prepared our garden soil, and even though it was a bit on the cool side, I couldn't resist planting some seeds. Desert Boy and Grandma Sylvia put in the onions.

Desert Boy was more excited about watering than putting in the onions. Since we planted this row I've heard about square foot gardening, where you plant in compact grids to reduce weeds and water consumption but maximize the harvest. I am going to give it a try in at least part of the garden. Last year the weeds really overtook me. They grew so fast that I was afraid if I stayed in the garden too long I might end up tied up in bindweed. I'm getting images in my head from Little Shop of Horrors just thinking about it!

I've never had a lot of luck with starting seeds indoors, mainly because I forget to water them for several days at some point, but hopefully Desert Boy's fascination with watering will help me out here. I neglected to label what we planted, and even though I thought I could remember, I've already forgotten. So we will have mystery sprouts appearing.


I think it will be a fun summer in the garden!

3 comments:

I Am Woody said...

Yay gardens! We've been thinking about putting out a couple of rows of corn. It has been a long while since we've had fresh corn:)

maucotel said...

Good for you! We just planted before the big snow so it'll be interesting to see how it fares. Those weeds do get brutal sometimes!

Caroline said...

Yay...yum!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates